Wednesday, July 21, 2010

first and best

Don't you just love starting the day right? Having a good breakfast just sets me on a happy and fulfilling path for the rest of my day. I have all kinds of healthy things for this important meal; fresh fruit and yoghurt, oat porridge with sultanas and honey, boiled or scrambled eggs and a hot cup of black tea. I feel terrible and crabby if I miss this one crucial meal, and it generally results in my stomach protesting loudly through the 2nd, 3rd and 4th session of school.

These would be my third batch of granola, and although the recipes are different, the end result is still satisfactory, no matter what ingredients you put in.

Granola 
Adapted from smitten kitchen

Ingredients:
2 C rolled oats
1 C crushed almonds
3/4 C crushed cashews
1 C shredded coconut -I used dessicated coconut, and used 3/4 C-
1/2 C honey
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 C dried fruit of your choice -I used sultanas-

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a shallow baking dish with baking paper. Mix together the rolled oats, almonds, cashews and coconut and spread out on the baking dish, bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. 
Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the honey, vanilla and fruits while it's still warm. Spread out mixture into the baking dish again and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until it's golden brown. Leave to cool for 30 minutes before breaking up and storing into a container.
This can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for several weeks, but to keep its crispness, store granola in the fridge. 

I really like granola mixes because they are so versatile, so it's impossible for me to choose a favourite. These ingredients were just the ones I had lying around, but I really want to try using sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, peanuts and all sorts of different dried fruits. Maybe I'll have this stuff sprinkled generously over some homemade natural yoghurt (I made it from Easiyo... anyone else know of it?), with a little dollop of honey to sweeten it up and garnished with some blueberries and strawberries? Oh gosh, I can't wait until tomorrow morning's breakfast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment