Saturday, October 30, 2010

doooo-nuts

Man, has it been forever since I was here? I do apologise, because my sister (whose camera I used to take food pictures) started loading the pics onto her computer, which I can't access from here. I'm now using my dad's digital camera, but I'm not complaining.

Short post today, because I really shouldn't be online at all, and should be studying for exams next week. But I think this deserves a post. =)

My mother made doughnuts today; those cinnamon and sugar coated, deep-fried beauties. They came out amazingly soft, and crunchy and fluffy and indescribably fantastic freshly made. I seriously recommend everyone to go home and make some right now. You'll be doing yourself a favour, I promise you.


 These are for the kids at my training today. The glace is just some chocolate spread, not Nutella though.


The recipe for these lovelies comes from Tandaco Dry Yeast booklet, and it's proven to have quite a few good recipes to try.

Doughnuts
Makes 20.

Ingredients:
2 sachets (14g) Tandaco Dry Yeast
4 C plain flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 C sugar
1 1/3 C warm milk
90g melted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
oil for frying

Method:
1. Mix dry ingredients including yeast in a large bowl. Add milk, butter and egg. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and leave in a warm place to rise until double in volume. Approx 40-45 mins.
3. Knock down the dough (punch fist once into the centre). Knead for 1 minute. Rest dough for 5 minutes.
4. Roll dough to 5mm thickness. Cut circles with an 8cm round cutter and remove centres with a 4cm round cutter. the centers can be kneaded together and rolled out again. Place circles on floured baking trays. Leave in a warm place to rise for 20-25 mins.
5. Deep fry at 190 C for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden.
6. Toss in cinnamon sugar (made of 1/2 C castor sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon). Allow to cool.

I know the whole process seems quite long and tedious, but my mother was done with it in about 4 hours. Try it and you won't regret it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment