Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mini food tour of Vancouver and Hong Kong

Well on my holiday my sister and I racked up approximately 1200 photos, and a significant number of them were involving food. But you'd be bored if I showed all of them would you? We were fascinated by the different vegetables and products that we went a bit crazy remembering them. The people at Save on Food must have thought the worst :).

I have several pictures that I can display, and more will go up when I find where I saved the other ones. First off, my mother, sister and I traveled to Hong Kong as a stopover flight to Canada. We could only stay there 2 1/2 days, so we had to pack every bit of excitement into them. And I think we succeeded, considering how we were so exhausted that I actually managed to fall asleep on the flight in Vancouver. While in Asia we saw many convenient bread and cake stores; this was the first I saw and I just had to go in and buy browse. :)



The shops all had beautiful peach cakes on sale. :)

We walked past countless markets and street shops; selling almost everything you could think of. This sight was one that we became well accustomed to by the end of the three days.

We went to a fancy-looking restaurant and were very surprised to find everything very affordable. The food was yummy too~
The appetizing entree.
My choice - Thai Style Pork Neck Fried Rice, 58 HK.
My sister's choice - Singapore Shred Chicken Laksa with Thai Noodle, 58 HK.
And my mum's dish - Boneless Haianese (excuse the incorrect spelling) Chicken with Lemongrass Rice, 68 HK.

Now onto Vancouver, which I stayed at for nearly a month with my father. Nothing much to report about that, but it was a good holiday and I liked Canada.
Of course, my family being asian meant that we'd search for good asian ingredients at Chinatown. Gosh, it felt like we were back in Hong Kong!
Is that a...yes it is, as my sister and I were horrified to discover.

Okay, how about something nicer?
Much better.
This delectable place is the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory somewhere in the city of Vancouver. I was dying to buy one, even though I don't like toffee apples.
Cutie.  :3

For the few days of Christmas we went to the beautiful snowy wonderland of Whistler. It was amazing; even though I didn't go skiing or dogsleding (though I did snowshoe and it was tiring but really enjoyable) I was content with just playing with the abundance of snow on the side of the road. Sad yes, but I'm easily amused. :)

The first meal I had there; a panini with coloured corn chips. Yummy and very filling.
Our modest Christmas Eve feast; turkey and some tom yum soup with rice.

Look at those delicious long white mushrooms...mmm, my favourite.

And that is the end of the post! I'll try to find those missing photos, and post what I've been up to in the kitchen soon. Hope you all hope a great Christmas and New Year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment